365 mac and cheese
Macaroni and Cheese is one of the most romantic dinners ever conceived. To this day, the great chefs of Europe argue over who prepares the finest Macaroni and Cheese and if it can be improved. Here are some ideas:
- Sprinkle a few spoonfuls of toasted breadcrumbs over the top for a nice crunch.
- Add some cut up hot dogs (Whole Foods has several healthy versions) when mixing the pasta.
- Top the dish with chopped, steamed vegetables such as peppers, broccoli, carrots or cauliflower.
- Crumble cooked bacon over the top before serving.
- Mix in seasoned, cooked ground turkey.
- Add a dash or two of chili poweder for a kick.
- Caviar can be used as a topping, but why gild the lily?
I sometimes throw in a can of tuna fish, myself, when I want that "gourmet touch". I tried the chili powder thing too, but I used cayenne pepper...unfortunately enough to render the stuff inedible for me. I tend to get fancier with grilled cheese sandwiches. (Avacado, thinly sliced tomato and onion...)